Monday, March 14, 2005

Getting back into the swing of things

Back from the States and a complete week off running. I did briefly try the hotel treadmill but it turned out to be an old knackered thing that was horrid to run on. On the plus side though I did manage to save myself £30 by buying a new pair of Wave Creations when I was out there.

It was with these on my feet that I took on the work's treadmill. This was an imporant run for me, I could feel demotivation setting in. I had put on about 5lbs in weight in less than a week and was feeling tired. I was afraid that if I didn't nail this run then the whole marathon effort would be lost.

It wasn't a great start to the session, lethargic and slow. Struggled to get through the 2 mile warm up, then came the main event 5 miles at 1/2 Marathon pace. This was harder than it should have been. Although I was running at a constant speed I was suffering badly from cardiac drift. My pulse went something like this


Mile

AVE HR

1

164

2

168

3

170

4

173

5

176



This is also a couple of beats faster than I was running 7 mi/mi before I was off.
By the time I'd thrown in a warm down mile I'd covered a total of 8 miles in 63:07. Despite that it was a bit harder than I expected I was very pleased to have down it. The only downside is that my hip is hurting again, maybe it needs another massage. Good job I've got one booked for Thursday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home