Thursday, December 16, 2004

Relay Fitness Challenge

Today was supposed to be my rest day but it hasn't turned out that way. I got hooked into taking part in a relay fitness challenge to raise money for charity. The challenge is organised by the RAF personnel based at Swanwick Air Traffic Control Centre. Simple idea each person runs on a treadmill for half an hour. People then guess the distance covered. Last year the RAF challenged the civilians at the centre to compete against them. That was a big mistake by the RAF. My highly competitive training partner (HCTP) organised the Civilians, we had 3 sub-40 minute 10Kers plus a sprinkling of low 40's (including myself). The military didn't have any runners, so we gave them a bit of a thrashing.
The rules were changed for this year. It was to be 9 minutes running, 9 minutes cycling and 9 minutes rowing. I started off on the cycling, I had been tipped off that no matter what intensity you set the bike for each pedal rotation counted as the same. In other words keep the level low and the pedal rate high. I managed to knock off 3.3 miles in my 9 minutes. Then it was running simple tactic here, set it for 4 min K and hang on for 9 mins and accelerate at the end if any thing left. This was going to plan until my shoe lace came undone and I had to stop the machine to tie it up. The problem was the treadmill takes aboyut 30 seconds to come up to speed which is a lot in only 9 minutes, So I averaged a little under 4min/k at 2165metres. Then came the rowing part. Like most runners I lack upper body strength so rowing is hard for me but I had to try as HCTP had just arrived and was watching who her team were doing. I can't actually remember my rowing distance as by the end my brain was suffering from oxygen starvation (or temporary insanity).
I suppose I could call today a cross-training day, it certainly wasn't a rest day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home