Saturday, April 02, 2005

Disasterous cycle

My hip still hasn't fully recovered and following advice from several people I'm not planning to run this weekend. However I was told that I could cycle and this would be good for maintaining the fitness.

So I set off on my bike this morning planning to have a wander South Hampshire. Its been 6 months since I was last on my bike so I was a bit rusty but I was moving. If you look at an OS map of this area you'll notice there are a lot of contour lines, meaning things are a bit lumpy. There isnt anything particularly large but there is a lot of it.

I was just about coping with this when disaster struck. I came down a hill, and was just about to start climbing another one. I stepped down the gears to be ready but my chain jumped off into the wheel. This is bad news VERY bad news. The chain locked solid but the wheel continued to turn against the chain. Net effect was I broke 10 of the 18 spokes on the drive side of the wheel and the wheel went so out of true that it jammed on the mudguard let alone the brakes. My ride was over.

I was now standing the in middle of rural Hampshire with a broken bike. Quick call on the mobile to MrsW to come and rescue me but got the answering machine so I left a message and started walking back towards a pub I had passed a mile earlier.

OK Pub, broken bike, waiting for someone coming to pick you up, what do you do. Of course have a pint. One problem its 10:10 and the pub doesn't open until 12:00!!!

Talk about bad luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home