Friday, April 22, 2005

Final Score

I've been putting off writing this entry because in a way I'm ashamed of myself, but after my first post marathon run I realise I shouldn't be.

The Good News : I finished
The Bad News : 4hrs 20 mins and 49 secs

If you're a regular reader of this blog you'll understand this is outside of what I was hoping for by some 50 minutes.

So what went wrong?

MrsW and I travelled to London on Saturday and collected my number before the big queue developed. Had some lunch at the pasta party and headed off to hotel. I put my feet up and watched the Rugby while MrsW went to out.

Went for an early dinner of yet more pasta. Just got back to the hotel when I had a couple of urgent calls of nature. I put this down to nerves because I was so looking forward to the race.

Woke up after an uneasy nights sleep, but I was expecting that. Went for breakfast to find the restuarant was still closed (its 6:45). Finally opens at 7. I then discover that they don't do cereal only bread, croissants and danishes or the full english! Hmm guess which I went for.
Head off to the start to get myself sorted out, no problems here strip off and get into the pen. MrsW has been able to secure herself a place by the pen and we have a few final words before the off.

Mile 1 was as expected crowded avoided the temptation to dodge in and out I knew that people would tail off quickly and it would open up.

By Mile 2 it had settled down, I was at my cruise pace and I could enjoy myself giving the kids high 5's. I then glanced at my HRM it was showing 172! This fails to compute, routine 8 m/m is only about 158-160 what's up. Perhaps it'll settle in a mile or so. It didn't by mile 6 it was high 170's something was badly wrong. By mile 8 I had lost all energy, taking an energy gel made me feel worse. It battled on to mile 13 but my pulse was reaching 182 my 1K reps is 185. I have no option but to stop running and walk. And that was that I was reduced to a run walk routine for the rest of the race and even that was hard work. I was now in my own personal hell. I wanted out but there was charity money at stake to I kept going.

Met MrsW at mile 15 gave her a hugh and started crying but was told to keep going. Reached the RW supporters at Mile 17 and got a banana and some jelly babies. Met MrsW at mile 20 again and really wanted to give up but she wouldn't let me and then the long slow slog to the end. Fortunately I managed to get picked up by a few other Anthony Nolan Runners that got me to start running every now and again.

I don't remember much more about the race apart from the finishing straight, rounding the corner and seeing the finishing line seemed like the holy grail to me. I even managed a sprint.
Having talked to a few people I reckon I must have caught a virus/bug on the Saturday. As people say bad things happen.

So what I'm I going to do about it? Well, there is a little race called the Abingdon Marathon in October and I have a personal score to settle. I may even start a new blog

3:30 or bust!

4 Comments:

At 10:07 am, Blogger Highway Kind said...

Rob

It shows great guts to carry on and complete when every part of your body is telling you to stop.

Well done

You nowknow you have the mental and physical strength. There are plenty of other opportunities to show how quick you can be.

 
At 6:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert, well done. You kept on going and finished! Why are you unhappy with your time? You have been injured at a crucial stage in your training! I would have given my left arm for a time like that (and wasn't injured, just slow) You have survived the tricky part of every race, the mental side. Everything else you can work on but you know what it is with mental strength. You either have it or you don't.

Cherish the medal. Well deserved!

 
At 10:19 am, Blogger Evil Pixie said...

Phew - I was worried about you. Well done on finishing, bug or no bug it was damn hot out there and that alone throw a lot of people. Now shut up and be proud of yourself!
Abingdon is a lovely flat and fast course ... wonderful club and the stadium finish is awesome!
Now take care and train well! I'll be watching you!
Pix

 
At 9:20 am, Blogger RobW said...

Thanks for the comments folks.

Pix - Sorry hadn't thought I would have got people worried by not posting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home